Are you preparing for a big renovation or remodel in your home? If so, it’s important that you put in the proper planning to make sure the job gets done right the first time—otherwise you’ll find yourself shelling out thousands of extra dollars in repairs. While this is especially important to keep in mind if you plan on doing a lot of the work yourself, it is also important to remember when hiring out a contractor for professional remodeling services in Syracuse, IN.
Here are just a few examples of some of the most common home renovation mistakes you should seek to avoid as much as possible:
- Improper budgeting: Many people set extremely unrealistic budgets that do not properly account for all the materials and labor that go into a project. Do some research to find out approximately what you can expect your project to cost, then add about 20 percent to the budget just to make sure you’re fully prepared for any surprises that come up during the process, such as change orders or revisions.
- Trying to get too trendy: In general, you should try to opt for timeless rather than trendy in a remodel, especially if one of the reasons for performing the remodel is to add some value to your home. Trends are short-lived—there are some design elements, though, that will hold up through the decades. A professional designer can aid you here.
- Think practical: You should never sacrifice functionality for style. When in doubt, always go with the most practical solution for a particular feature or problem. This will help you avoid a whole lot of frustration in the years after you complete the remodel.
- Material purchasing mistakes: Many people buy their materials too early—you should wait until the plans for the project are fully finalized and you’re far enough along with the project that all the measurements are done and accurate. Otherwise there’s a good chance you’ll end up purchasing the wrong quantities of materials, or the wrong materials altogether. In addition, you should make sure you order a bit more flooring than you think you need, just to account for material waste.
- Going cheap: It’s always better to spend a little bit more to guarantee yourself more durable, higher-quality materials that you won’t just have to replace in a few years anyway. There are spots where you can save money in a remodel—materials should not be one of them.
- Not adding value: If you’re going to remodel your home, make sure you’re updating the right things. There are plenty of aspects of your home that aren’t exactly the most exciting upgrades to make, but that can add a ton of practical and financial value, including storage, flooring and infrastructure.
- Not researching contractors: Spend plenty of time researching potential contractors to take on the job, and read reviews where you can find them so you can get a sense of the contractors’ professionalism and reliability.
For more information about avoiding some common home remodeling mistakes, contact Buhrt Builders Inc. to discuss our remodeling services in Syracuse, IN today.
Categorised in: Remodeling Services
This post was written by Writer